Village of Swanton
Located within the Toledo metro area, the community is the best of both worlds: close to amenities of a bigger city while maintaining a small-town feel. There are a variety of housing options as well as leisure and recreational opportunities to enjoy in Swanton.
The Village of Swanton is a Mayor-Council form of government with a full-time Village Administrator who carries out the day to day administrative operations. The Village strives to provide a high level of services to its residents.
The Village of Swanton was incorporated on February 19, 1883. The name of Swanton comes from nearby Swan Creek. There was some back and forth deciding where to locate with establishments springing up in both Fulton and Lucas Counties. With the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern rail lines, Swanton began to flourish in the mid 1850s. By 1903 the Toledo and Indiana Electric Railway was built north of the railroad tracks. It went along Broadway, crossed Main Street, and then west onto Dodge Street. In the early 1900s automobiles began to take over and the town grew even more.